North Bend Forest Service Ranger Station
This Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was constructed in 1936 for New Deal programs. President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the CCC in 1933, just as the USFS was positioning itself to pivot from a custodial to more active resource development role. The CCC helped build the infrastructure for this agency transformation. The North Bend compound exemplifies the expanded facilities required for mid-twentieth century resource management: staff residences, crew houses, machine storage, automotive shops, and warehouses for fire control, road and trail, and other equipment. In 1991, eight of the compound’s structures were added to the National Register of Historic Places. The buildings are considered exemplary of New Deal-era Northwest architecture, with plain utilitarian design and skilled handcrafted wooden construction
The Forest Service continues to use one building in the compound as a visitor information center and an entrance pass sales outlet for Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest and other federal lands.