Stock Donation

Donating Long-Term, Appreciated Stock or Other Securities 

The easiest way to give a gift of stock is through your broker. The Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust has a brokerage account at Charles Schwab. If you have an account with this institution, your broker may make an in-house transfer into our existing account. Instruct your stockbroker to make a direct electronic transfer of your stock to the Greenway Trust’s account—please use the contact provided below to request our account information. 

To acknowledge your gift for tax purposes, we need the following information prior to the transfer: 

  • Your name 
  • Number of shares 
  • Name of the stock or fund 

If you have a brokerage account at another institution, notify your stockbroker in writing that you wish to make a charitable gift of stock to the Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust. Please use the contact details provided below to request our account information. 

Stock Donation Contact: 

Mike Woodsum, Director of Development 
(206) 250-9979 

Donating Depreciated Stock or Mutual Fund Shares 

If you own stock or mutual fund shares that have gone down in value, you can first sell the shares, then contribute the proceeds to Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust and claim a charitable gift deduction and a capital loss deduction to offset any capital gain you may have.