This amazing Seattle city park contains miles of trails, beaches, old growth forest, a native plant garden, boat launch options, and more!
The lobe of Seward Park is a distinctive peninsula in Lake Washington and home to a rare urban patch of old growth forest. The Coast Salish referred to the peninsula as “skEba’kst” or “nose.” The marshy land was called “cka’lapsEb,” or “neck.” Cattails on the shores were used by the Duwamish Tribe to build reed houses in the summer months. As Seattle prepared for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909, it hired the Olmsted Brothers (landscape architects and successors to the Frederick Law Olmsted of Central Park fame) to design a series of parks for the city—Seattle’s own “emerald necklace.” Located southeast of downtown Seattle on the shores of Lake Washington, the park contains 120 acres of forest, including many trees more than 250 years old. The park is also home to the Seward Park Audubon Center, which provides environmental education programs, public events and other activities to connect neighboring residents with the local environment.