Coal Mines Trail
The Coal Mines Trail follows the route of a branch line from the Northern Pacific Railroad, constructed in 1886-1887. The railroad carried coal and passengers from the mining towns of Ronald and Roslyn to Cle Elum. Coal was used to power steam trains headed up to Snoqualmie Pass on the Milwaukee Road railway, and later to run the Cle Elum substation for the electrified Milwaukee Road. The Coal Mines trail is now a well-maintained 4.7-mile path for hikers, bikers, equestrians and, during the winter months, snowmobiles. Along the way, travelers can see old slag piles, where mining waste was discarded, as well as several fan houses used to ventilate mines.
The Greenway Trust helped local communities purchase the trail corridor.
- More Information: