The Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust seeks a passionate and pragmatic conservationist to support our development program, which works to build strong connections between Greenway donors and the work they empower through their philanthropy.
The Greenway Trust is a small, nimble, dedicated team, with a culture of helping each other out and wearing multiple hats. The Development Associate: oversees the Greenway Trust’s membership program; facilitates events designed to attract, retain, and engage people in support of the Greenway Trust’s mission; oversees appeals; and pursues grant funding through prospect research, proposal writing, and reports.
The Development Associate reports to the Director of Development and collaborates closely with the Marketing and Communications manager and program leads to promote events and facilitate deeper engagement of volunteers.
The right candidate is an exceptional writer and communicator who demonstrates strong organizational skills. Command of details and accuracy in data management are crucial in this role. This position requires flexibility and adaptability to ever-shifting priorities, while constantly building positive, collaborative relationships with internal and external partners. The ideal candidate will be very dependable, with the ability to work on multiple tasks at all times and meet deadlines.
We’re looking for a candidate who loves the outdoors and has a passion for learning and growing in the organization. This position is an excellent entry into the non-profit conservation community with future leadership potential on special projects.
- Design and create member engagement materials, including annual membership campaign
- Organize membership events to engage new and existing members
- Create and manage online donor experience, including relevant parts of website and social media
- Coordinate with other programs to incorporate membership opportunities into volunteer events and other program activities
- Monitor membership analytics and apply insights to improve recruitment, retention and advancement of members and their support
Donor Information Management (35%)
- Opportunity tracking in Salesforce database, data entry and accuracy, research, returned mail
- Create mailing lists for all appeals, fundraising communications
- Oversee donor acknowledgment
- Generating donor and fundraising reports in Salesforce
- Lead and organize fundraising events including the Spring Breakfast, engaging colleagues as appropriate before, during and after the events
- Define and improve participant experience and introduce potential fundraising elements to events like the Explore the Greenway adventure series so that they serve as more effective means for membership cultivation and advancement
- Create and organize other membership and fundraising events, including partnership events like pub nights, hike-a-thons, mixers, trail races, etc.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications manager to test and implement tools for engaging members in peer-to-peer fundraising attached to events
- Represent the Greenway Trust at various other community, corporate, and outreach events
- Develop and manage budgets for events
- Write and submit grant proposals and reports
- Track identified, submitted, received, and declined grant opportunities in Salesforce database to ensure timely follow-through with reporting and subsequent requests
- Research grant opportunities that could support Greenway programs and projects
CORE COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Passion and motivation for the Greenway mission
- Appreciation for and demonstration of Greenway values: positive, can-do attitude; pragmatic, adaptive and flexible working style; inclusive; collaborative, team player; trusted; impactful, creative problem solver
- Exceptional writer
- Strong relationship-building and communication skills
- Highly organized, with excellent ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Experience managing and tracking multiple projects
- Excellent computer skills and accurate data management and reporting
- Experience with donor management software (Salesforce preferred)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in proposal-writing or other persuasive writing discipline
- Reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and insurable driving record
REPORTS TO | Director of Development
$40,000 to $48,000 annually depending on experience; includes excellent medical, vacation, transit, and retirement benefits.
Full-time, non-exempt position, typically Monday-Friday. Will include some evening and weekend events.
The primary work location is at the Greenway Trust office in downtown Seattle, with some regular travel to sites throughout the Greenway for meetings, presentations, and outdoor events.
Email cover letter that describes why you are the ideal candidate to join our team, resume, references, and any materials you wish to share that are related to your experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org. A criminal history background check will be completed for the selected candidate.
The Greenway Trust is committed to hiring a skilled, dedicated, and diverse work force. We seek candidates who can bring new perspectives to a collaborative and creative staff team.
ABOUT THE MOUNTAINS TO SOUND GREENWAY TRUST
The Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust leads and inspires action to conserve and enhance the landscape from Seattle across the Cascade Mountains to Central Washington, ensuring a long-term balance between people and nature. Since 1991, collaboration and hard work have tested and strengthened the vision of the Mountains to Sound Greenway. We have proven to this region and the rest of the nation that collaborative conservation, convening a broad-based and inclusive coalition of partners, can effect positive change.
Enhancing people’s connections to nature drives the Greenway mission. Our coalition of community members, businesses, government agencies, and donors is joined together by the ethos that when we have meaningful connections with our natural surroundings, we are healthier and happier, our communities are stronger and more equitable; our lives are better.